Hip, Hip Hooray! Karri is So Very … selected my blog as one of the recipients of the “Inspiring Blog Award.” Yay. I could break into a happy dance right here and now.
I love Karri’s blog. It is a ball of happiness and positivity. Each post fills in the blank of what Karri is … doing, feeling or thinking at the moment. Readers will find her to be part girlfriend, part fashionista and all wonderful. Do a smart thing and follow her.
Now, as the recipient of this award, I must do the following for my fellow bloggers and friends:
• Display the award image on your blog.
• Link back to the person who nominated you.
• State 7 things about yourself.
• Nominate 15 other bloggers and link to their sites.
• Notify the bloggers that they have been nominated and link to the post.
1. I can recite every line and sing each song from the movie “Annie.” That’s right; I am Aileen Quinn’s long lost black sister. I absolutely loved that movie as a child and still do today. I have introduced it to my kids so that they can appreciate all its goodness (and also so that I can have someone to join in when I sing, “You’re Never Fully Dressed without a Smile.”)
2. I love the Harlem Renaissance. The clothes, music and especially the writers: Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes and the list goes on… If I could time travel to another era, it would be there (minus the social oppression, that is).
3. I used to own a magazine. Years ago, I owned a Christian magazine called “The Sword” (The name is from the Scripture Hebrews 4:12). It was my baby, but I tell people that I had the vision but not the provision. I was a writer with no business sense and thus things didn’t work out. I am building up the courage to one day write about that experience.
4. If you cut me, I will bleed Funyuns. Oh how I love those fried onion rings of yumminess. I don’t remember when I was first introduced to them, but the love affair is to infinity and beyond. Want to make me smile on the cheap? Funyuns will do.
5. I am a serious hip-hop head. I love (with a capital L) hip hop. No, I am not talking the Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj mess that is out there now. I am talking about late 80s/early 90s jams where lyrics were street but poetic. In college, I seriously considered becoming a roadie for Outkast. They are my favorite group of all time. My other faves include Biggie Smalls; The Fugees; Common; Bone, Thugs and Harmony (I know); Goodie Mob; Tupac;and Snoop Doggy Dog (before he signed with Master P). To this day, if I hear Camp Lo’s “Luchini,” I lose my mind. LOL!
6. I slept on a street in Atlanta to be with a friend who was auditioning for ‘The Apprentice.’ That’s right. Someone I love dearly wanted to be on the show. When we heard about the Atlanta auditions, we packed up and headed up I-20 East. When we arrived, we saw that there were a slew of folks already in line and it was THE DAY BEFORE. We slept on the street with the hundreds of others. Who was the friend? You may know her as Omarosa. Just kidding. Mum’s the word on the who; he might not be ready to share.
7. The night Birmingham’s Ruben Studdard won American Idol, I was in the limo chillin’ with his family. Yep. I was a reporter for The Birmingham News at the time. My editor sent me to LA a couple of times to cover Ruben’s American Idol journey. In the process, I became very close with his family. I was sitting in the audience beside his brother, Kevin, when Ruben was crowned the winner. After Ryan Seacrest made the announcement from the stage, I headed to the back where Ruben’s family told security that I was with them. That night, I rode in the limo to the swanky restaurant where Ruben, the other contestants and lots of celebs partied the night away.
Now, drumroll, please … my most inspiring blogs are:
12. E is for Erin
13. Tatiana in Flux
14. Jamie’s Rabbit
15. Carol Ann Marks